Tuesday 29 September 2009

Grapes

With watermelon season fading away, grape season is in full swing in Korea. Every bushel looks perfect and delicious, with large round purple grapes. The first time I tried them, I thought looks were deceiving. They skin was impossible to chew, and the way the inside held together like a slippery mass was enough to make me think I had the misfortune of finding only rancid grapes.


But then we started eating them at school, which is where all of my eating epiphanies happen. I was instructed that for these grapes, you're not supposed to eat the skins. Instead, you squeeze the inside out into your mouth and suck the juice out.


There are two main varieties of grapes, both purple. One is very dark and smaller with seeds, and the inside if slightly more difficult to chew through, but the juice is incredibly sweet and quite often tastes like a very sweet wine. The other kind is a little lighter that the first, and is virtually seedless. They taste a more like the grapes I'm used to, only much larger and juicier. These are a little more expensive, but worth it.

3 comments:

  1. It's grape you found out how to eat them!
    Smooches,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg....i don't know how i feel about that. the slippery mass part. gross..no..gross.

    sorry, got me thinking about nasty gross things.

    You are so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmm........deskinned grapes.

    ReplyDelete